Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

"Getting Real"

Most of you who know me, know me to be an optimist and a "glass half full" kind of gal! I will say that 90% of the time, I feel good physically, mentally and believe I am on the right path for me at this point in my life. But we all know we can't be that perky optimist all of the time - it's not real life!

That being said - there are some days that I really feel lousy. I try to never complain - If I am getting a cold or an infection of any kind, my blood sugars tell me long before the symptoms set in. I am so rigid in my routine that if I feel "off" at all - I know it almost immediately in that my blood sugars are unusually high, or my patterns are not normal, which causes me to have a headache and feel a little irritable sometimes. Because I preach the "diabetes does not control me" mentality - I usually talk myself out of my lousy mood or physical symptoms by getting up from my desk and take a quick 5 minute walk down the hall or around the hotel and come back - and feel better almost instantly. It's just another reason I get up and move and so firmly believe in it! Endorphins are great things and can help you both mentally and physically.

If I feel stressed out or find myself in an uncomfortable situation - I can almost feel my blood sugar rising - its just the first reaction. Another good reason to control the stress in my life - it truly impacts your physical health.

My grandmother used to tell me that your"Attitude" holds the key to your own personal happiness and self fulfillment - I think she is right. Try your hardest to keep it positive and then take the steps to help yourself overcome your mental and physical stress. Your brain is a powerful tool...........!



2 comments:

  1. I ordered the book "The Other Diabetes" - it came today - Wednesday - August 4th - I am excited - thank you for doing this blog - down another 7 pounds.

    ReplyDelete