Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Resources for Diabetics

Taking charge of your health means you have to research and read and work with your doctor on trying different ways to control your diabetes.

Here is another book that I highly recommend and really enjoyed reading:

50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes (Marlowe Diabetes Library)
by Sheri Colberg and Steven V. Edelman

This book was very encouraging and entertaining to read - some of the people sharing their stories were in their 80's and had been dealing with diabetes for 50+ years! The one thing they all had in common was their "attitude" about living with it, and how humor & stress relief is so very important

Here is another great website/resource for people with diabetes:

www.diabeticconnect.com

It helps me to know that there are other people are struggling with Diabetes just like I do. On days when I am frustrated and I do all the right things and my sugars are still "out of whack" I feel better reading about others having the same issues.

Your local chapter of the American Diabetes Association is a great resource for you. They have tons of free brochures and information and they also have fund raisers you can get involved with throughout the year. I always participate in the local "Walk to Cure Diabetes" and get family and friends to come out and walk and support me. The more awareness we can generate the more funding will be provided. Get involved on a political level as well -- ADA Diabetes Advocate is a great program. You will receive emails from them that enable you to send your senators and legislators letters and information and your opinions on upcoming health care legislation. I always send the letters, and it is my personal goal to go to Washington and lobby for Diabetes Research dollars.

My blogs have been brief lately and I apologize, but I have been traveling some and this weekend I am taking my daughter to Branson for some fun and outlet mall shopping for "back to school"! I have alot of recipes I want to share with you all. If there is anything you want me to talk more or less about please let me know - I am here to help! Have a great weekend -- and remember -
get up and MOVE!!!!!






































No comments:

Post a Comment