Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

If you are Diabetic - Know What You Are Eating!

I have an admission to make - last night I ate some really delicious cole slaw that a friend made and she had put those yummy Ramen noodles in it - only I didn't know they were there!
I am so carb sensitive that it didn't take long for me to start feeling my blood sugar rising - my mouth got dry and I had a headache - two signs of high blood sugar!

I checked and my sugar was at 267 - from Cole Slaw! So, the only choice I had was to exercise and get it down quickly. At 9pm I went to the gym and got on the elliptical and did 30 minutes and my blood sugar went from 267 to 109. Then I did some weights and it went down to 90 - perfect. Downside - it was close to 10pm and I was wide awake! But my sugar was where it needed to be.

Learn to ask people about food they prepare - just explain that you are diabetic and you need to know what is in the food - I ask at restaurants alot and it helps me decide what I can and cannot eat. Sauces and salad dressings can really be tricky so always ask if you are not sure about what ingredients are in an item you are considering eating! It can save you a late night trip to the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment