Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Healthy Food Portions!

We all know food portions these days can be twice as much food as we really need! Did you know that the size of the average dinner plate has steadily grown over the years? One way to avoid eating too much in restaurants is to ask for the "To-Go" container at the beginning of your meal and just put half of it away as soon as you get your food. So you get two meals for the price of one!

In my quest to control my blood sugar I have experimented with portion size just to see the effect on my blood sugar. For example, I can eat one or two small pieces of thin crust Margarita Pizza and a salad and be just fine. But If I eat four pieces of thin crust pizza, or even one piece of deep dish or thick crust pizza my sugars go alot higher.

Another thing I do is when I eat at home, I use a salad size plate instead of the dinner plate, and I fill it first with, you guessed it.....Salad! Then veggies, then meat!

Here is a fun & easy way I have learned to remember correct portion sizes so you don't have to literally "measure" everything you eat! This way it's "at a glance"!

1 cup serving pasta/rice = size of a tennis ball
1 - 3 ounce serving meat = size of a deck of cards
2 tbsp peanut butter = size of a ping pong ball
1/2 cup veggies = size of a baseball
1/4 cup of anything = size of a ping pong ball
perfect portion baked potato = size of a computer mouse
1 pancake = size of a CD
1 serving cheese (1 ounce) = size of 6 dice
1 serving fish (3 ounces) = size of an average checkbook

Hope you find this helpful! Remember to post a comment if you would like me to talk about anything more specific!

No comments:

Post a Comment