Pages

Friday, July 23, 2010

My Mommy Eats Salad!

Sorry I skipped a few days - its been a little hectic!

When I made a decision that diabetes would not control me, I knew it meant a "lifestyle" change for me - forever. If I were to survive the ravaging effects that diabetes can have on your body, I didn't have a choice. I had to find the perfect food plan for me.

You don't really think about how other people see your food choices, but I have a cute "Samantha Story" that illustrates how even a four year old watches and learns!

When Sam was about 3, Santa brought her one of those really cool fake kitchens with the sink, refrigerator, stove and cabinets, along with a whole lot of plastic food - everything imaginable and everything a kid would need to prepare a feast!

One day when she was about 4 years old I was instructed to sit down at her little table in one of her little chairs (not made for a 5'11 big person) - she was fixing lunch. So I did what any law abiding parent would do - I sat. I did manage to talk her into letting me sit on the floor instead of the chair. Seated with me were numerous teddy bears and a very large stuffed big bird from Sesame Street.

Samantha was scurrying around her little kitchen working so hard and telling me, "now don't look mommy, its a surprise". I didn't dare peek. She brings a plate over and puts it on the table in front of me and she told me to look at my lunch. I opened my eyes and on the table in front of me was the prettiest little plate of colorful salad and fruit. She looked at me and said "Mommy - you have to eat your salad". Then she brought plates to the other guests at her table - they had food like hamburgers, scrambled eggs, ice cream and other yummy looking items. As she sat each plate down in front of her "friends" she would say things like: "Big Bird, this is your cheeseburger. Don't let mommy have any - my mommy eats salads". It was just too cute! It was, by far, the best salad I ever had. ;-)

If you make a choice to eat in healthy way most of the time, it can impact your kids in a positive manner without you even realizing it.

Next time I will talk about "Being Prepared" and share some more stories with you. I will also share some seasonal recipes that you might enjoy!

Have a great weekend and remember to MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I remember quiet well the sit down kitchen days!
    Very Special!!!
    Also, I used to sit on the small plastic chairs all the time! Can still feel them! Ouch!!!!
    Having support from family and friends is a huge plus for any diabetic.

    ReplyDelete