Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Get Up and Move!

A few years after my diagnosis and after I finally got my blood sugars in a manageable pattern, I decided to add exercise to the mix.

I had lost some weight just by changing my eating habits, but I wanted to firm up and lose about 2 sizes - everything I read said "just get up and move", and if you lose weight your blood sugar is more easily managed. I am sure you have heard them all -- park further away from where you are going, take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, walk the dog, vacuum, dance, run in circles, run in place, march in place while watching TV....you get the picture. So I did these things, but I really wanted to get some cardio involved.

So I went to Sears and purchased a huge, obnoxious treadmill - determined that it would not be used to hang clothes on and gather dust, I placed it proudly in the den where I could walk and watch "OPRAH" at the same time. My goal was to walk for 30 minutes 3 days per week. So I did it. This was quite an accomplishment for me -- I did NOT enjoy exercise - at all - up to this point. My high school friends can confirm that I did not even like to break a sweat. So this was outside of my comfort zone to say the least.

The difference in my blood sugars on the days I walked and the days I didn't was becoming very apparent to me. So, I decided to walk every weekday. I kept that pattern going and took the weekend off. But I noticed I just didn't feel as good on the days I skipped, and I became a bit "cranky" when I didn't exercise. I added one workout on the weekends. At this point I was doing some sort of exercise 6 days per week and it worked for me. And that is what I am still doing today. It is just a part of my normal routine now, and yes, you can ask Samantha - I still get cranky if I don't exercise!

I realize everyone enjoys different kinds of exercise - so just figure out what you enjoy and move! In the spring and fall, before it gets so hot, I enjoy walking at the Big Dam Bridge! When I hit a plateau I change my routine - add weights, use the elliptical, ride the bike, increase my speed or levels, etc..

Just be careful about your blood sugar readings before and after exercise. Always check it before - if mine is under 160 I might eat 2 peanut butter crackers to get me through. I exercise in the evenings after dinner. My doctor and I finally figured out if I skip my evening dose of medication, I can get in a good 40-50 minute workout without my sugars dropping too low. I am NOT recommending you do this - it is working for me, but I always get my doctor's approval before I make any changes in my meds.

Wherever you choose to exercise, be sure to take your meter, some fast acting glucose pills, crackers and water - just in case. I always check my sugar after I am done too - to make sure its not too low - its normally anywhere from 80-110.

Remember it takes 21 days to form a habit. Give yourself a little push and see if you can do it! :-)



1 comment:

  1. Even though I do not have diabetes it is still so important to move and so hard to start and keep that habit. When I do it I loose a lot of my fuzzy brain and have more energy. And if the truth be known I am easier to get along with!!
    You are an inspiration to me missy!

    ReplyDelete