Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Always be prepared.....or don't get stuck in an elevator!


With Diabetes you always have to be prepared...for anything. Not long after I was diagnosed I had a meeting in West Little Rock and decided to go home for lunch. It was only about a 15 minute drive so I headed North. I barely made it onto I-30 approaching the River Bridge and traffic came to screeching halt! It was about 11:30 am and I didn't think much of it - I knew I was hungry and my stomach was growling....alot....which can be a sign of high blood sugar AND low blood sugar. I glanced around my car to see if there was anything to eat - nothing. I started to panic a little - which in turn made my symptoms seem stronger. (I have also learned your brain is a powerful thing). I had my meter with me but by then my hands were shaking and I was headed for a low -- I dug around in my purse and in the very bottom I found a package of glucose tablets....I had bought them and thrown them in my purse and forgotten they were there. I popped 3 in my mouth and tried to chew - It was nearly impossible because my mouth was so dry from the panic attack! After a few minutes they kicked in and the traffic begin to flow again, and I was able to go home and eat lunch - finally. I felt horrible the rest of the day - after a low
I normally have a headache and just feel lousy, and this was no different.

In April I went to New Jersey to a Wyndham Conference for a week. On the last night my elevator got stuck in our hotel. After about 12 -15 minutes I could feel myself starting to panic a little --
so I opened my purse to make sure I had everything I could possible need:
* glucose meter
* glucose tablets
* glucose drink
* peanut butter and crackers (no less than 3 packages)
* small bottle of water

Once I knew I was prepared the panicky feeling went away - and luckily the elevator became unstuck!

Most of my friends and family will tell you I carry a BIG purse and I always have food in it, along with all of my supplies. You just never know when you might get stuck on the interstate, in an elevator or find yourself away from your supplies - so be aware and always carry everything you need. I keep a stash of bottled water and snacks in my car at all times.

By taking these few steps you can avoid ending up in the ER! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment