Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The "Eyes" Have It! Don't Be Blinded by Diabetes!

Some of you might have thought I fell off the planet - I didn't! Its just been a crazy month at work and with Volleyball and Softball season intermingling, I haven't had any time to write. I was inspired last week when I went for my annual eye exam. I am sure you are all familiar with the complications of diabetes - and one of the most common ones is diabetic blindness. After all of my tests and the eye dialation and pictures, the doc and I were talking and he asked me how old I was - I told him I would be 48 in June. He scratched his head and looked in my file again and said - "well, I am not sure why, but your vision is improving"! He asked me if my blood sugar readings had been better - and I told him yes - we had made a few adjustments in my meds protocol, and that, along with my new more intense workouts (adding weights instead of just cardio), my readings had greatly improved. so that explained it. He then put some photos up on the screen and showed me some pics of the back of my eye -- all the vessels looked normal and there were no contusions or shadows, everything looked great. Then he showed me some pics of the back of an eye in a patient who had uncontrolled diabetes - there were small little shadows everywhere -- and he explained those were strokes in the eye, which will lead to blindness. Then he showed me photos of the same eye after this person's blood sugar was in good control -- all of the shadows were gone. If you get your sugars back in line the damage can be reversed to a degree. Just another good reason to work hard to keep your diabetes in control! Don't let diabetes win - there is too much at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment