Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Healthy & Diabetic Friendly Mac and Cheese

If you enjoy fall and winter comfort food like I do, tempting casserole and comfort foods abound and test your willpower constantly.


My big weakness and one dish I miss the most is good ole fashioned macaroni and cheese!
I created my own version that I think comes pretty close to the real thing.


For Two servings:


1/2 box whole wheat pasta with added fiber (corkscrew or elbow)


1/2 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low fat American cheese or cheese blend
1/2 cup skim milk
salt/pepper to taste
(do not use fat free cheese it does not melt well)


Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
In small saucepan, on low heat, add milk and melt cheeses until smooth.
Add salt and pepper to taste.


Mix cheese sauce with pasta and serve.


I have no idea on the nutritional breakdown, but I can tell you if I eat about 1/2 cup
serving with my meal, and no other bread or high carb foods, my blood sugars stay
within range.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment