Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Sometimes You Just Gotta......EAT...Fried Green Tomatoes!

Sometimes you just have to....EAT!

Yesterday at lunch with a friend I enjoyed a home cooked meal that actually reminded me of both of my grandmothers'!

Baked chicken with gravy, fried green tomatoes, butter beans, green beans, homemade rolls and one bite- yes only one - of Mississippi Mud Pie. Wow. Talk about amazing. I think the fried green tomatoes were my favorite.

I enjoyed every mouthful! I ate slowly and left food on my plate - but I ate some of everything and the good news was my blood sugar didn't stay high for too long either! Food is meant to be enjoyed and I surely did. I think once in a while its OK to "go off the wagon" and just enjoy the flavors.

That being said here is a southern Living Recipe for "Fried Green Tomatoes" that is amazing - to make it a little more healthy I used low fat buttermilk and half white/half wheat flour and olive oil instead of vegetable oil - they are delicious!

INGREDIENTS

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
Vegetable oil
Salt to taste

Preparation:

Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.

Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.


Southern Living, JULY 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment